North Carolina A&T vs. North Carolina Central
When: Friday, Dec. 11, 2 p.m.
Where: Corbett Sports Center (East Greensboro, N.C.)
Stream: ESPN+ / Donal Ware
A&T Team Leaders:
Points: Chanin Scott (12.4)
Rebounds: Chanin Scott (7.6)
Assists: Jordyn Dorsey (2.1)
Steals: Chanin Scott (2.0)
Field Goal Percentage: Chanin Scott (.457)
3-pt Field Goal Percentage: Kiana Adderton (.286)
Free Throw Percentage: Kiana Adderton, Levossie Taylor (1.000)
NORTH CAROLINA A&T AGGIES (1-6, 0-0 Big South): A&T recorded its first win of the season with a dominant 86-46 win over South Carolina State last Saturday in the Aggies home opener.
Head coach Tarrell Robinson enters his 10th season with a 176-98 overall record and is coming off his third Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Championship last season.
NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL EAGLES (0-7, 0-0 MEAC): The Aggies face a winless Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference opponent for the second consecutive game.
Last time out, the Eagles fell to East Carolina, 75-34, Monday night in Greenville, N.C.
Necole Hope leads the Eagles with 12.0 points per game and is third with 5.9 rebounds. Tianna Carter leads the team with 6.2 rebounds and is second with 9.7 rebounds.
Trisha Stafford-Odom is in her fifth season at NCCU and has a 35-79 record and a 72-124 overall record in eight seasons. Her best season at NCCU was 2019-20, when the Eagles went 13-17 overall, including winning all three matchups against the Aggies.
THE SERIES: The Aggies lead the series 32-9, including a 14-3 record in Corbett Sports Center. A&T entered the 2019-20 season on a six-game winning streak, but the Eagles won all three meetings in 2019-20, but N.C. A&T is currently on a four-game winning streak.
QUOTABLE: “We’re hoping to build off our success here at home last week. As we get closer to the end of the year and the start of Big South Conference play, this is the perfect time to build some momentum.
We won’t need any more motivation than hosting our rival NCCU. Records won’t matter in this game. Both teams will compete at a high level for bragging rights.”
Head women’s basketball coach Tarrell Robinson on the Aggies rivalry with NCCU
- After six straight road games to open the season, the Aggies are on a three-game homestand. A&T defeated South Carolina State 86-46 last Saturday. They host NCCU Saturday at 2 p.m. and East Carolina Thursday at 6 p.m.
- Chanin Scott has 14.5 points per game in her last six games and 16.0 points per game in her last four, including three double-figure scoring games. She averages 9.0 rebounds in her last four games with two double-figure rebounding games.
- The Aggies have faced three teams this season with 900-plus wins in school history. UNC’s second win of the season was its 1,000th win. The others with 900-plus wins include Kansas State and South Carolina.
- The Aggies recorded season highs in points (86), rebounds (60), field goals made (33), field goals attempted (80), free throws made (16), assists (24), steals (14), and blocked shots (4) their last time out versus S.C. State.
- The Aggies won their ninth straight home game with their win over S.C. State last Saturday. A&T’s last home loss came to N.C. Central on Feb. 15, 2020.
- Robinson secured his 176th win as Aggies head coach. He is 16 wins shy of becoming the program’s all-time leader in coaching victories. In addition, he is 24 wins shy of becoming just the third basketball coach – men or women – in A&T history, with 200 coaching wins at the school, joining Don Corbett and Cal Irvin at the school.